Muharram 1, 1439
- 9 Sisters
- 4 Junior Sisters
Location: Sister Sara’s Place
Agenda: (please note, we have included many links where you can read in detail more on each subject)
FORWARD: We would like to share a few points about why we decided to tweak our halaqa.
- To ensure authentic material is shared
- To ease the preparation of the Halaqa
- To allow for a more in-depth participation if desired yet at the same time, keep it carefree
- To follow a system whereby we could all see growth and development, ie, completing a book, or learning Arabic/Tajweed
- To acknowledge the importance of proper recitation of Quran and to work towards improving our recitation and recognition of proper recitation.
- To recognize and incorporate needs and interests of our halaqa members
- OPENING DUA
O Allah, bless this Halaqa, allow us to gain, act upon and share beneficial knowledge. Guide us, forgive our sins and grant us Jannah with our families and loved ones.
رَّبِّ زِدْنِى عِلْمًا “Rabbi zidni ‘ilma” (O my Lord increase me in knowledge)*. Ameen
Note: we made an addition to our opening dua.
- QURAN RECITATION: TAJWEED/LEARN ARABIC
Alhamdulillah, the overwhelming majority choose to start a learn Arabic/Tajweed session to our Halaqa. The majority wanted to allot 10 min to this endeavor.
In sha Allah, we will begin with Surah Al-Asr and systematically practice the small Surahs till Surah An Nas. We will in sha Allah, listen to a correct recitation by Sheikh Husary. We may spend more than one Halaqa on a specific Surah.
Isa, we will listen to the Surah, then, learn a tajweed rule and then practice our own recitations. Sisters who do not know Arabic will be encouraged to follow along the Arabic letters and Sisters who know Arabic will be encouraged to improve their recitation.
The above link has both the recitation by Sheikh Husary and the individual word pronunciation (click on each word) for our learning Arabic sisters.
Navigating the above webpage:
Click on the settings top right-hand corner:
- Click Surah Info to get an overview of the Surah.
- Click Reading Mode to get a have all the Ayaat together (but without the English translation, yet, if you hover over a word you will still see it’s meaning.
- We chose the reciter Mahmoud Khalil Al-Husary(Muallim)
- We chose Sahih International English translation
- We chose translation in the tooltip display. For learning Arabic, it is best not to use transliteration if possible.
- You can also adjust the font size.
At the bottom, left-hand side of the webpage are the audio controls
- Clicking on the circular arrows will open controls to loop and repeat the range you choose and the number of repetitions you would like.
- When we tested the continuous recitation, we noticed a glitch with the underlining of the words as they are recited.
Another website useful for seeing the tajweed script and allowing for looping the audio is:
Sisters who practice their reading in sha Allah will have an opportunity at the next Halaqa to have a sister listen to their recitation.
Sister Maryam mentioned how to stop at the end of a verse and how to stop inside a verse.
Sister Sara mentioned the difference between thickening letters (tafkheem) and lighter letters (tarqeeq).
During this session, we realised the need to be systematic in our study of Tajweed. Alhamdulillah, Sister Dania has volunteered as a Halaqa Helper in this area.
Alhamdulillah, we have chosen to follow the course Read with Tajweed which also offers an Android app. For iPhone users who would like an app, we are suggesting Quran Teacher
- QURAN RECITATION AND REFLECTION
The sisters voted overwhelmingly to limit the recitation of each sister and also to fix the amount of Quran we cover. The majority choose one page.
We have decided to have each sister read at the most one-half page and we will only read from one page each Halaqa, in sha Allah, thus the sisters will be reading the same page, each with her individual ability. This repetition in sha Allah will help us to improve our recitation and recognition of the Arabic letters in sha Allah.
We read Surah Fatihah aloud altogether, then sisters individually read aloud a few letters/words, ayahs (according to her ability and with the help and encouragement of her fellow sisters). We read Surah Yusuf from Ayah 31 to Ayah 37. In sha Allah, this will be an ongoing part of our Halaqa and one day in sha Allah, we will have Khatam Quran and begin again.
We read an English Approximation (Sahih International) of the above verses.
We have chosen to use Tafsir Ibn Kathir for our Tafsir.
Volume 5 Page 159-166 (From our library shelf)
We only had enough time to review Ayah 31
- SURVEY RESULTS: BOOKS TO FOLLOW
We reviewed the survey. The top book was Don’t Be Sad. Three books were next. Two from the Family Category and another Spiritual/Motivational. Women Around the Messenger was ranked highly. We have chosen 4 of the top books for our Halaqa. These books will be covered systematically, either through direct readings or summaries prepared by our Halaqa Helpers. In sha Allah, these books will also be the basis of discussion sessions.
Post-Halaqa, the Halaqa Team discussed the issue of copyright and the correctness of sharing free pdf’s available online as the websites may not have the permission of the author. Some scholars say it is permissible to use these free pdf’s for your personal use or for dawah, but it would be best to purchase. We therefore decided to avoid sharing the free pdf’s so we won't be accountable for sharing somebody's intellectual property without right. Instead, we will provide a link for purchasing the pdf at a low cost, or purchasing the book. Also if the book is available to borrow from our library we will let you know in sha Allah. There is however one of our books which does not have a copywrite clause in the book. One of our members has the hardcover version and has confirmed this, so therefore, in sha Allah, we will share the free PDF for that book, NURTURING EEMAN IN CHILDREN.
- WOMEN AROUND THE MESSENGER
This book is available to borrow short term from one of our members.
Sister Halima has prepared a summary of the Introduction in the Book.
Here is the link
In sha Allah, we will be going through this book systematically using short summaries prepared by our Halaqa Helpers
- DON’T BE SAD
Link to the purchase pdf: https://iiph.com/islamic-ebooks/dont-be-sad-ebook-edition.html
We have this book in our Library (it is currently borrowed, but you can submit a request to
borrow, in sha Allah)
We read the Introduction to the First Edition (of the Arabic Version) written by the book's
author: ‘Aidah ibn Abdullah al-Qarni In sha Allah, we will read a small section during each
Halaqa followed by a discussion.
Page 23- 25 on the PDF
- NURTURING EEMAN IN CHILDREN
Link to the free pdf: https://d1.islamhouse.com/data/en/ih_books/single/en_Nurturing_iman_In_Children.pdf
This book is available to borrow short term from one of our members.
We decided to begin with this book in the Family Category and in sha Allah, once we complete
it, plans are to move to the “Children Education in Islam” in sha Allah
We read The Solution from The Introduction: Pages 18-20
- If any of our members would like to volunteer to prepare summaries for this book, please let us know.
- A TEMPORARY GIFT
We read the back cover and the inside accolades to introduce ourselves to this book. In sha
Allah, we will read a small selection during each Halaqa followed by a short discussion. We
hope one day the author will attend our Halaqa and read in person.
- NEXT HALAQA and News
In sha Allah, our next Halaqa will be on Thursday October 5th at our Headquarters in sha Allah.
Alhamduililah, there is a new intense Free Online Arabic Course starting up very soon in sha Allah. If you are interested in learning more about this course, please contact us for more details.
In sha Allah we will be starting a private online forum (members only) for post-Halaqa discussions. If you would like to participate please let us know.
- Dua al Ghayb
We made dua for a family whose son has cancer
We quickly mentioned two video series to follow on a rotating basis:
The Beginning and the End Sheikh Omar Suleiman 8:27
- Beginning and End is a series based on the book بداية و نهاية,. Sheikh Omar Suleiman goes through this entire text weekly to bring stories and reminders to you.
- A series of 70 short videos. Link to playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLutdSTmJ7bALsUhQRrcMIMLXbG6GPXpGv
Stories of the Prophets Sheikh Abdul Nasir Jangda 8:01
- A series of 12 short videos. Link to playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHPW7nn9Wmb4PjzmFq42nfdr-u7GsapKk
- CLOSING DUA
For the expiation of sins, said at the conclusion of a sitting or gathering. To listen to this dua click here
196 - "How perfect You are O Allah, and I praise You. I bear witness
that None has the right to be worshipped except You. I seek Your
forgiveness and turn to You in repentance."
سُبْحـانَكَ اللّهُـمَّ وَبِحَمدِك، أَشْهَـدُ أَنْ لا إِلهَ إِلاّ أَنْتَ أَسْتَغْفِرُكَ وَأَتوبُ إِلَـيْك
Subhânaka l-lâhumma wa bi-hamdika. Ash-hadu an lâ ilâha illâ
anta, astaghfiruka wa atûbu ilayka.
If any of this information was good and true, know that it comes from Allah subhanahu
wa ta’ala. If there are mistakes we ask for Allah’s Forgiveness and Mercy.